Commitment

August 31st, 2008 · 13 Comments

Recently, there was a person who had committed to join Netcore in a senior capacity as sales head for one of our business verticals. The offer was closed about a month ahead of when he was supposed to join. Three days prior to joining, he told us that just the previous night he had accepted a ‘big’ offer to join another organisation.

Given India’s hot job market, I guess one should not be surprised about incidents like these. What I do not understand is how can such people look themselves in the eye. I don’t think there is any easy way to deal with this kind of unprofessionalism.

This set me thinking. Maybe what one needs is an eBay-like feedback system to rate people!

• 1 Sidharth // Aug 31, 2008 at 7:41 am

Well Rajesh. Put his name up here. Or go to his linkedin proflie and write the triuth about him.

• 2 Vishal harma // Aug 31, 2008 at 7:43 am

Not sure how things are in India now in terms of issues like this. But if the guy has accepted the offer then that should be honored and if its not upto their liking than he/she can resign, but after accepting the offer changing the mind is definitely not ethical, but you know Rajesh not everyone is like you.

My suggestion is that they way the people are hired is changing rapidly. Chris Saad from Data portability has written some of his thoughts in this changing landscape, its worth reading.

• 3 phaniraj // Aug 31, 2008 at 10:30 am

I think linkedin should be able to fill this requirement.

• 4 Rahul // Aug 31, 2008 at 8:30 pm

I would say, you failed to identify the candidate; don’t forget he is the same guy in whom you vested all your trust.

• 5 Chintan // Aug 31, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I think it is very unethical for someone to make such a last minute shift esp. at this senior level. I guess the saving grace are:
    1. The person at least notified before joining.
    2. The persona admitted to the real reason (another offer).
    3. You just escaped hiring a misfit.

I wonder if its OK for an organization to make an offer, continue to hire for the same position and retract the offer it at a later date on having found a more qualified candidate at a “cheaper” cost.

• 6 Mukul Kumar // Aug 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Hi Rajesh – I think this is a reality in India. I agree that this shouldn’t happen at the senior levels. I have been hiring in India for about 15 years now. Somebody joining an organization is only a “probability” until the day he shows up to join.

Thanks,
    Mukul.

• 7 Prakash S // Sep 1, 2008 at 1:33 am

You got lucky! Hire slowly, fire fast, in this case the fire part was a little sooner than you expected 😉

This person could have started work for Netcore, consumed a lot of resources, spun a lot of cycles and left.

That said, lets invert this a bit. What if 3 days before this person joins, a candidate walks in for the same position (you have stopped looking, this happens to be a chance meeting — humor me), is an order of magnitude better, will clearly take Netcore above & beyond the person that’s supposed to join and will work for the same compensation — what would you do in such a situation?

The other systemic part of the problem in India is that compensation offers are mostly made based on what one made at their last job, and hence candidates shop for better offers, using one against the other.

Thanks,
    Prakash

• 8 Abhijit Nadgouda // Sep 1, 2008 at 8:47 am

It is a market in a true sense, unfortunately, where people bargain with multiple vendors, commit to multiple, select one and ditch the others. Another way to deal with this might be to not give a month’s time to join.

• 9 Jayanth // Sep 1, 2008 at 9:05 am

Hi Rajesh,
    I absolutely agree with you on the writeup. If senior people can do this after years of experience, I can imagine what kind of a lasting impact is left on freshers out of college or laterals. I guess missing ethics is one of the largest problems in this industry. When I look at my counterpart in Europe, I rarely see such cases where people defect, I see a sense of passion and national pride, and they choose assignments/roles/projects very carefully realising what their strengths are. What ultimately is the benefit of moving from one rung to the other, money? Well if that is the case then we lack no moral and our allegiance is towards wrong things in life.

Talking about a e-bay like system for rating, this would be an excellent idea, also if there can be a global resume validation like a social network between companies, this too would be of great help.

• 10 Mani // Sep 1, 2008 at 1:31 pm

This is very common among programmers. There is site called http://www.indianregistry.com which is the initative by Nasscom is trying to bring some framework on these front. We have to wait and see how it really works..!!

• 11 Sanjay Mehta // Sep 1, 2008 at 1:34 pm

It is a malaise in the system at this time. All of us have borne the brunt of such situations.

Your suggestion of an ebay like rating system is interesting. Heck, you may be on to something here.. should churn the thought a bit!

– Sanjay

• 12 Amit Saxena // Sep 2, 2008 at 7:19 am

It is a market. If one can return one good and buy from another place, then one can declining to take one offer compared to another. Tough luck, if first offer could not keep the resource enganged and excited enough to join and more importantly motivate them to contribute to best of their capabilities.
    Looking from other side, how many times we see companies throwing sweetners to good resources, once they learn that they have options to move out. This problem is on both sides and is pure-play opportunism.

Some of my friends did consider the whetting system for resources – their education, experience and references, but the problem is with systematic reluctance from both parties to engage in such a system. NASSCOM system mentioned above has not encouraged parties to come together in any significant way.
    Critical creative component is still missing in the execution of such an idea.

-Amit

• 13 Bangalore // Sep 2, 2008 at 4:03 pm

re. your observation: “What I do not understand is how can such people look themselves in the eye. I don’t think there is any easy way to deal with this kind of unprofessionalism”

I *so* validate this observation.

Examples of ‘professionals behaving unethically’ or just plain unprofessionally is so commonplace here, it’s considered par for the course.

What’s beyond comprehension ( to me), is that there are the adoring, non-thinking set of people who validate them on business forums, because they are perceived to be better in some way. Maybe featured on Page 3 / flashed on a 1 minute TV soundbite / dressed in a flashy brand name…somehow, that’s the New Social Pass Score rather than decent behaviour.

small example: I read two glowing recommedations given to two (different) people on the Bangalore Ryze network. Both are persons I wouldn’t want to conduct business with, (…) but pointing that out on a public forum would have meant potentially endless defense of my stance