Croma and Invertising

October 16th, 2008 · 6 Comments

Continuing the thread on my experience in buying the Lenovo Ideapad S10, I walked in and out of Croma without them attempting to build a relationship with me. They could have used Invertising (which we offer to our enterprise customer base) to reduce the cost of next contact with me and build a hotline with me. The should have asked me to sms a START CROMA to opt-in to a channel which would provide periodic updates on new products, special offers, etc. I am as interested in getting the info from them as they are in sending it to me. But now, they have no clue who I am wven though I spent Rs 25,000 with them. I want to “invite advertising” from Croma into my life. An SMS once a week would have the ideal way for them to connect to me — along with giving me the option to opt-out at any time.

This is what retailers, brand owners and others need to think of. Every customer walking in to their store has a mobile in their hands. How can retailers like Croma delight them with information that they want? This is the magic of Invertising.

• 1 Rahul Jain // Oct 16, 2008 at 10:01 am

Croma, in my view, believes in allowing users to make choices and not getting into their way when they come to their store. Doing this sms stupidity would be a tangent to their core values! Do you really want to recieve sms from a store EVERY week!!! strange!

• 2 Gaurav // Oct 16, 2008 at 3:12 pm

I really doubt many people are interested in signing up for receiving updates from stores like that. Many stores already do that (of course without consent) and its mighty annoying. Of course, if the store used the sms medium for me to offer feedback directly to them (by passing the sales guy, his boss, his boss’s boss etc) then I would certainly use it – especially I have had a bad experience.

• 3 Anant Bhushan // Oct 17, 2008 at 3:36 am

^^
    Just wanted to comment on what Gaurav says. The last line itself gives one all the reason for not having a service like that(“especially if have had a bad experience”). Its because a service like this generally invites nothing but bad comments. And is often detrimental and disappointing for the guy on the floor. The good work goes unappreciated and mistakes are highlighted.

On a lighter note i am getting the feeling that the entrepreneur in Rajesh is speaking. And looking for alternate avenues for the sms medium… 🙂 … :-)…

• 4 Raghav // Oct 21, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Wait A second ! I don’t actually think SMS is a bad idea. Brands like C&K, Mango, Aldo, Espirit all do the SMS’ses. But yeah getting weekly sms is bit of spam.. But yeah I definitely want a sms whenever there’s discounts going on or some slick deals !

What I think Rajesh want to say is from the point of view of Croma retailers and not from customer’s perspective. the “Start Croma” thing is ofcourse good which doesn’t force a user to get it.

-Raghav

• 5 Dipak Rautela // Nov 6, 2008 at 11:48 am

I second Rajesh and Raghav.

Personally I would love to receive updates on specific (or similar) products I’m interested in. (I’m not a spurt buyer and tend to agonize between 2 competitive products – on price, specs, etc)

Hence I’ll invite any updates on SMS with regards to price discounts on the Lenovo or new competitive products coming in at Croma.

Wouldn’t that be Wonderful ??!!!! Now thatz what I call a Product to Customer Hotline.

• 6 SCORPIO // Dec 1, 2008 at 7:26 pm

i bought a canon camera from croma and to my shock and horror i found that it was 700 bucks costlier than hypercity