My Web 2.0 Summit Talk

November 11th, 2008 · 10 Comments

The video has now been put up was there, but doesn’t seem to be available now. so you can check it out. (Here are the slides and the prepared text of the talk.) There must have 750-1,000 people in the ballroom at the Palace Hotel – it was standing room only. I was the second speaker on the first day of the event — after Mary Meeker, and followed by John Doerr.

I was more than a little tense during the presentation, and could have done a lot better. I had practiced quite a bit, but just walking up there in front of so many people on so important an occasion for someone like me who is not so used to it can be quite a challenge! As I sat through various other presentations, I had the occasion to observe others and learnt a lot watching them. Next time, I will be a lot better. It is important for one to go through the experience and then only can the ideas for doing better come – else it is all theory.

Of course, from a content and presentation perspective, I said all that I wanted to. Many people came up to me over the course of the next two days and complemented me on the talk and discussed some of the ideas I had mentioned. So, that was very positive. I think what I missed in the talk was an emotional element – showing how the Nova NetPC’s computers and the MyToday SMS subscriptions actually are making a difference to people’s lives. I could also have showcased the bigger vision better on what we can do in India.

I need to work on my presentation style. Looking at some of the other speakers, I thought I was like Windows v1.0 compared to their MacOS style! I will work hard now on improving.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience. Meeting John Battelle and Tim O’Reilly was great. And it was sheer delight watching John in conversation with the various people. The diversity of topics covered and breadth of information that came across was astounding. I think we really need a Web 2.0 Summit equivalent for India – getting together our best minds in a single forum over 2-3 days. Not like the conclaves organised by India Today and Hindustan Times, but one where the best thinkers converse and share their views on the present and future.

• 1 Mani // Nov 11, 2008 at 9:17 am

I could see the presentation in the archive here.

Mani.

• 2 My Web 2.0 Summit Talk | bestwebhostingservices.com // Nov 11, 2008 at 10:14 am

[...] View original post here [...]

• 3 Saurabh Garg // Nov 11, 2008 at 10:22 am

Hi Rajesh,

Probably you starting one would be a good idea :)

Regards,
    SG

• 4 Sanjay Mehta // Nov 11, 2008 at 10:48 am

Congratulations! Your very presence as a speaker at this summit is praiseworthy. You are being very modest and humble. Yes, we all learn and improve, but I am sure you would have made an impact with your presentation. Best wishes!

• 5 My Web 2.0 Summit Talk | deleteblog.com // Nov 11, 2008 at 3:39 pm

[...] More [...]

• 6 magdi // Nov 12, 2008 at 1:35 am

Excellent work dude!!

Magdi Mikhail

• 7 Dipak Rautela // Nov 12, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Rajesh thanks for the highlights of the summit. The interesting part was the stage jitters you experienced. You are a veteran of such conferences and presentations..what to talk about us mere mortals. LoL. Thank you for being so candid about it on your blog.

I’ve been thinking about sharpening my own public speaking and presentation skills. Joining Toast Masters Inernational should be a good idea to stop the butterflies. I’m thinking of joining one shortly.

• 8 Amit Surana // Nov 14, 2008 at 11:24 am

I saw your web20 summit video. It was great to see an Indian in such summit. We in India doesnt have so much exposure to these kind of events.
    I am a subscriber of MyToday but never knew the vision behind it. Great work.

• 9 Amit Surana // Nov 14, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Yes. India do need to showcase their IT industry. I am just 2008 passed out, but do let me know if I can help in such work. :)

• 10 Haresh Chugani // Nov 20, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Hi Rajesh,
    That’s being v.modest of you. Appreciate it much.

I’ve been a keen audience in v.many international presentations. I must admit that your vision underlying in your talk was absolutely fabulous.

Salute You Sir – and we as young entrepreneurs have a lot to learn & grasp from your visions. Thank you!