Making Notes

February 26th, 2009 · 6 Comments

One habit I have is making extensive notes. Most people who know me will rarely find me without a notebook (the paper one). I use by notebook to make meeting notes, write ToDos, make lists, and most importantly, think.

Over the years, this habit has gotten more and more ingrained. I have standardised on the notebooks I use (hardcover, spiral, 240 pages) and the pens (blue and black; BIC round stic fine). I finish one notebook in about 2 weeks, and one pen in about a week.

Making notes ensures a number of things:

• When I write down, I tend to remember better. So, I may not refer to it again, but it just helps focus attention on the moment.
  • In meetings, when I get an idea, I tend to write it down in the book so I don’t forget it.
  • I love Lists – so they help me organise a day and ideas. Of course, on most days, what gets done is very different from what I had planned!
  • I also have the ability to go back to recall meetings in case I need to. This hasn’t happened often, but it has been useful the few times it did.
  • Most important, it keeps the mind free to think and concentrate, knowing that the book will have a record for me to refer to later.

When I see Abhishek (who is now nearly 4 years old) remember things with no notebook, I wonder…!

• 1 kasi // Feb 26, 2009 at 10:46 am

Taking notes is a good habbit…but i am taken aback at the rate at which you take notes. 20-pages/day? (sunday excluded). That is not notes!!….according to me your CPU is still strong and your hard-disk is not able to catch-up with that :-).

Your son remembering things at 4…one thing is he has very little things to do …secondly as we grow older especially after 30 brain-atrophy starts (actually we loose brain ). Brain starts shrinking and more and more CSF (water) gets those space…but i am not sure whether that is related to memory.

• 2 Ashish Inchekar // Feb 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hi Rajesh,

This is Ashish [IITB-H6-97]. We have exchanged emails before.

Its uncanny – but i feel that am your clone in this respect.
    [ its an addiction almost to the extend of being a compulsive disorder]

I hope one that the entreprenuerial clone gene also gets activated.

Cheers, Ashish

• 3 Bhavin // Feb 26, 2009 at 10:48 pm

hi Rajesh,

I have a habit of making making notes and extensive lists..and i wondered if i was the only one and suffering memory loss
    (even considered having badam everyday)
    but you give me a good reason to make the list
    🙂
    regards,
    Bhavin

• 4 Suhit Anantula // Feb 27, 2009 at 8:33 am

2 weeks for one notebook. That must be faster than Richard Branson.

I did learn to carry a notebook from you and have been doing ever since. It has helped me, no doubt. But I can never write at your rate!

Cheers

• 5 Sundar // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:30 am

I have been using smaller pads (80 pages) and recently switched to 200 pages note. I write 4-5 pages per day including meeting notes, to do, etc.
    I was always wondering whether this is a good habit and some friends even criticised and good to know I am not alone.

Writing / Scribbling helps me to memorise / assimilate faster and I refer to my notes to cross check while preparing minutes.

I would love to start using laptop for notes taking and convert into wiki / personal blog, hope to start soon. But making sketches it not easy in laptop.

Sometime I wonder whether I should have learnt shorthand!

After using Papermate pens in UK, identifying a good pen was not easy in India. After experimenting with over a dozen brands, I have settled down to Reynolds Electro 0.7 pen which is good.

• 6 Kishor // Feb 28, 2009 at 12:47 am

Well sir…there is something I have to learn from you. I have been very lazy in this matter. I think as an entrepreneur this will come in handy. Thank you posting.