A week of the Nokia E71

May 13th, 2009 · 11 Comments

I (up/down)graded to the Nokia E71 after my iPhone screen sensors started giving problems. Some thoughts on the two phones:

• One line summary: E71 is a much better phone than the iPhone, but a much worse browing device than than iPhone.
  • The familiar Nokia interface for making calls and sending SMSes is much quicker – and I like that.
  • The QWERTY keyboard of the E71 is also quite nice. Typing out longish messages is quite easy. (I never really had much of an issue with the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone, either.)
  • The one thing I am starting to love is the GPS-powered Maps. We used it a lot when we went to Tikuji-ni-wadi on Sunday.Worked out very well.
  • The browser is a disappointment after using the iPhone for nearly 2 years! It almost feels like nothing much has progressed on that front since I used the N80.
  • Looking forward to the Ovi App store when it launches this month. Have downloaded a few apps based on recos from friends.

Like I said, its a better phone, but not as good an Internet browsing device. Looking forward to trying out more things with it in the coming days.

• 1 Abhishek // May 13, 2009 at 6:47 am

I was expecting that you would download Opera Mini. iPhone’s interface for web access is cool although I don’t rate the browser as good enough.

Opera Mini is synced with my desktop; it’s really cool to have almost the same familiar interface. The default Nokia browser is pits indeed.

• 2 Sidharth // May 13, 2009 at 7:35 am

Abhishek is right. You should download the Opera Mini since it can render pages in full html. I use it on my P1i and simply love it. It does not have tabs but the speed is amazing

• 3 amaodisha.com // May 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

Technology has made everything reachable on finger tips. Starting from holiday at space to navigate anyone’s home on earth, nothing is impossible.

• 4 Asfaq Tapia // May 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I have the same phone and to get the latest news on new apps etc, I follow http://www.twitter.com/e71. They tend to give all the info related to the E71.

Btw, for GPS, I’d recommend Google Maps. I prefer it to the Nokia app. You should also get Fring, will allow you to connect to chat and voip protocols.

Thanks much!
    Asfaq

• 5 Nadeem // May 13, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I would recommend using the Opera browser. It’s much better than the Nokia browser.

• 6 WOM World / Nokia » Blog Archive - E71 - one week on // May 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm

[...] Jain has spent a week with the E71 after his iPhone screen went squiffy and has posted his thoughts on his Emergic [...]

• 7 Simpe // May 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Great comments! Nice to hear that other people think the same way as I do. I have used both myself and would choose E71. It lacks little the wow -effect, but its usability is soooo much better.

• 8 Bhavish // May 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm

If GPS is the biggest issue you had with the iPhone, then that was resolved by the iPhone 3G :)

• 9 India Economy » A week of the Nokia E71 // May 16, 2009 at 5:50 pm

[...] More: A week of the Nokia E71 [...]

• 10 pedromobil // Jul 15, 2009 at 12:01 am

Other almost-perfect browser is Ozone browser: http://bit.ly/BwDRP

• 11 Buat Website // May 19, 2017 at 3:28 pm

e71 is a great phone from nokia. a legend.