Reading Columnists

May 27th, 2009 · 7 Comments

It has been a fascinating exercise reading the diversity of op-eds over the past few months in the context of the elections and the unfolding political landscape. I have also developed a liking for some of the regular columnists:

• Swapan Dasgupta (Sunday Times of India, Pioneer)
  • R Jagannathan (DNA)
  • Shekhar Gupta (Indian Express)
  • MJ Akbar (Sunday Times of India, Pioneer)
  • Tavleen Singh (Indian Express)

Each one has their own perspective which they weave into a compelling argument. I like to read different opinions on the same topics so one gets a wider set of inputs to make a call on the issues involved where one stands. Among the international writers, my two favourites are both from the New York Times: David Brooks and Thomas Friedman.

• 1 Aditya Kumar Pandey // May 27, 2009 at 11:46 am

Wish more of them had blogs like you have. MJ Akbar and Shekhar Gupta are a good writers. Unless you buy the newspaper or visit library, it is tough to read them :(.

• 2 srikanth // May 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm

as per my knowledge there are the great writers…..
    it is very very tough to read them

• 3 gujjuman // May 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm

you should read

offstumped.wordpress.com

• 4 Akshar // May 27, 2009 at 6:10 pm

My involvement in election made me really read stuff.
    I was involved in study of History and Politics mostly through Arun Shourie, Guha and likes’ books. But these elections really enlightened me.

I too read Swapan, Talveen, Akbar (i did read his Shades of swords before) for the first time in my life in their newspaper columns.

But the real analysis I think came from the world of bloggers.

Besides your own blog Rajesh, I closely followed blogs on nationalinterest.in , Offstumped, Francois Gautier, Frnds of BJP, hamara congress etc.

I in fact gave up on my personal blog and started lostparadise.co.in as my political blog which did not gather much visitors.

Through cross linking I also found Atanu’s blog which I am always eager to read.

Most of the time it becomes very difficult for me to read something that I dont agree with or something that sounds absurdly biased to me.
    But I feel I am learning and I feel I am learning by catching the finger of bloggers like you.

• 5 Amit Chakradeo // May 28, 2009 at 1:46 am

I like these columnists as well. It is however unfortunate that most of the india’s newspapers do not provide separate feeds for their articles. Frustrated by that (and now with the knowledge that there are others who are interested), I wrote scripts to generate the feeds myself.

–Amit

• 6 Orkut Junior // May 28, 2009 at 2:08 am

Amit, thats a very helpful tool –

Rajesh- I think you shd include an economics angle to it, and Swaminathan A Aiyar belongs there. Maybe Niranjan from Mint as well.

• 7 wholenike // Jan 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

We are a trade and manufacturing company of brand sport productions in China,our supply productions are nike series:air jordan(1-22), Nike shox(R3/R4/R5/NZ/Vc), Air force one, airmax(90/91/95/97/2003/2005/2004/180/360/tn),dunk.puma,timberland,bape,adidas,gucci,prada,hoodies;Jeans;sunglasses;caps;handbags,belts, etc. We insists that ” SAFETY+ QUALITY+FAST DELIVERY+ GOOD PRICE = PERMANENT CUSTOMER”. Look forward to doing business with you! Our web: http://www.wholenike.com. MSN: wholenike086@yahoo.com.cn
    Yours sincerely!