Driving

August 6th, 2009 · 6 Comments

There was a time when I used to love driving. That was about 15 years ago. In the US, I had an impeccable record (was only stopped once for speeding) even though I learnt driving quite late. Now, I only drive if I have to. I was wondering about what changed. I think it was an accident that I had one night in Mumbai – the Maruti 800 I was driving hit a lamp post near Dadar when I was momentarily blinded by the headlights of an oncoming car. I was lucky to emerge unscathed from that incident — the lamp post fell on the windshield, shattered it, and glass was sprinkled all over the car but nothing much came on me. Sometime then, I decided to have a full-time driver.

I was reminded of this topic and the incident when I drove our car to VT station a couple days ago. I was driving a car after more than a year. I was ultra-cautious and even a bit tense though the roads were quite empty at 6:15 am in the morning. That love for driving is probably gone now – and I doubt it will come back.

• 1 Bala // Aug 6, 2009 at 9:06 am

No of cars on these Roads should significantly come down in the coming years….

• 2 kasi // Aug 6, 2009 at 11:34 am

That is because you stopped driving for 1-year and started again.

If you had just ignored that as an accident … i repeat… an accident… and started driving then. You would not even reminded of that now.

• 3 Brajeshwar // Aug 6, 2009 at 1:43 pm

The way and the degree of caution you take while driving is, according to me, related to how important you feel you are to your people.

I became a more cautious drive after I got married but now that I’ve a daughter, I’ve totally changed my perspective of driving — stay calm, let others overtake, its OK to be little late, it’s also OK to be last in the line.

• 4 Padmanaban // Aug 6, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thats life. Accidents can happen unfortunately. (Oncoming car can hit a standing car). Never mind on it. Just drive happily, nothing will happen.

• 5 deepak // Aug 6, 2009 at 5:15 pm

driving is the good thing to do when u r not doing anything .
    but always drive slow dont drive fast its a good thing for evevry body

bpo sulution

• 6 Stephen // Aug 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hi Rajesh, hope all’s well. Just saw this nice mention of Novatium in a McKinsey article so thought I’d let you know in case you missed it.
    Cheers