Book Reco: Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol

September 24th, 2009 · 8 Comments

It was the most eagerly awaited book of recent times. Dan Brown’s next after “The Da Vinci Code” was expected to be something special. And it is. Even though it follows the same time-tested formula that worked so well in the previous book, it is a page-turner and very illuminating about history (especially, the founding of the US and Washington DC).

I bought the Kindle version of the book for $9.99 the day it was published. I use the Kindle primarily for fiction (thrillers are what I like). At any point, I have a few unread books that I can always turn to when things get a wee bit boring in life!

Reading “The Lost Symbol”, I couldn’t help but think that someone should do something similar for India. We have such a wide and long history, so there should be plenty of scope for a thriller that weaves India’s rich past with the present. We need a Dan Brown for India!

• 1 Gagan // Sep 24, 2009 at 6:17 pm

A Da Vinci Code India?
    Bad Idea.
    There’re huge lot of jerks out there just waiting to be offended. Can’t imagine any author willingly jumping in this pool of muck.

Cheers!

• 2 anish // Sep 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hi Rajesh

You mentioned you downloaded book on your Kindle.

I am wondering how is Kindle attached to amazon web site from India?

In US-it uses sprintnextel EVDO/3G network –via embeded modem.

Would be interesting to see if Kindle India version is different than US version and which network does it use…

• 3 Bhavish // Sep 27, 2009 at 11:28 am

On a similar note, I was in Boston recently and thoroughly enjoyed the “Walk” there which is basically a series of old historical sites branded together. I felt it was an awesome concept and Indian cities would be even more suited to the format, given our rich and varied history…

But it seems our cities are caught up in a quagmire of chaos, decay and politics to even give it a thought..

• 4 Mallikarjuna // Sep 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm

In Kannada, we have such an effort going on.

Dr K N Ganeshayya, Scientist in Karnataka State Agriculture University has written fictions.
    They go like

1) Kanaka Musuku: Chandra Gupta Maurya, after installing Bindusaara as the King, travelled to South India. His intention was to spread Jain Religion. He is said to have bought enormous amount of Gold, all carved in the form of Corn.
    It’s a good fiction.

2) Kapi Lipi Sara: After Rama’s war with Ravana and Rama returning to Ayodhya, what happened to huge Vaanara Sena?
    Supopsedly, they enter Andamaan & Nicobar Islands.
    Fascinating Story involving the Jarava tribes, Eastern India’s hills interspersed with some chases.

3) Chitaa Danta:
    Alexander hid much of his loot, some where in the Hindu Kush Mountains [Hindu’s killed… mountains].
    The link to it, is a Tooth, supposedly of Lord Buddha.

4) I DON”T RECALL THE NAME:
    It revolves around the Diamond Mines (GOLCONDA & etc., ) of Vijayanagar Kingdom, Onslaught of Vaishnava’s on Buddhism. It was quite good.

Plz do note, these were published as serials in Kannada Weekly Sudha.
    Chitaa Danta is running currently.

In fact, each Thursday, I eagerly await the magazine, just to read it.

• 5 Swaroop // Oct 6, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Rajesh, did you check out Gods of War by Ashok Banker?

I think it weaves Indian stuff with a sci-fi angle and existential questions. Going to read it soon.

• 6 Sriharsha // Oct 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Hi Mallikarjun, Yes Dr. KN Ganeshiah has written books on our histories like you mentioned. I have a request for u ?Have u read chitaa danta? where can i get that book?

• 7 Tanmoy Sarkar // Apr 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

It’s yet another mystery rockers from Dan Brown called “The Lost Symbol” that will make you experience the thrill of Robert Langdon mystery adventure. Full of actions, application of wisdom and knowledge, fast paced story telling, all the essentials of a successful murder mystery are here in this RightBooks.In collection. Just visit http://www.rightbooks.in/product_details.asp?pid=9780552161237 to have it today.

• 8 Mohan // May 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hi,

Can you kindly pass me the ISBN numbers of the above kannada novels.
    Thanks in advance.