Cricket Overkill

October 26th, 2009 · 12 Comments

Watching and following Cricket is part of the lives of most of us in India. It is pretty much the only sport that we tend to bother about.

Of late, however, I get the feeling that interest is starting to wane – in me, and others. Maybe it is the surfeit of all sorts of cricket with all varieties of times, maybe its just me growing older, maybe it is the lacklustre performance by the Indian team, maybe it is the disappearing star value of the players.

There was a time  when a cricket match was looked forward to with great anticipation, and especially the Tests. Now, there is a sense of deja vu in the matches. Australia and India started an ODI series — so what.

Anyone else get the same feeling?

PS: Just saw this cover story in OPEN magazine!

• 1 Cricket Overkill Match Web // Oct 26, 2009 at 7:51 am

[…] Go here to see the original: Cricket Overkill […]

• 2 Akshar // Oct 26, 2009 at 10:21 am

There was a time I stayed awake all night for them, there was a time when I prayed in temple for their victory, I gave more importance to watch the match then study for the next day exam knowing well what is more important for my future.

I havent seen any matches in last 4 year, and I wonder what has changed. The exact same questions that you have raised come in my mind. But then I have better questions to run after 🙂

• 3 kasi // Oct 26, 2009 at 10:28 am

Too much of cricket.

Yesterday’s Aus-India match should have been a big talk of the town. But i did not see anybody (including me) care much about it.

If the same thing happened before IPL and all PL’s happening now… it would have been talked about in office at the least once. Or some one would have talked about at the tea shop OR cigarette break…

Operator Overloading can work well in programming not with human mind i guess 🙂

• 4 biju // Oct 26, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Even I thought its me getting old, but most of them feel the same, with BCCI and Cricket Australia agreeing to play twice every year, its gonna be too frequent too boring

• 5 Renjish // Oct 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm

True…same here…. too much of anything can spoil the show…

• 6 sivashankar // Oct 26, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Yeah…… really your article reflects my mind too.
    But I also feel that watching a cricket match will take us back to those good old days atleast till Sachin is around.

By the way, feel free to visit my cricket-related blog where I have spoken of this topic in a post.

• 7 Praveen // Oct 26, 2009 at 6:03 pm

completely agree with you. right now the only thing i check is the final results.
    Wonder what the next generation is picking up as fav sport-football, F1? any guesses?

• 8 sahas thombare // Oct 26, 2009 at 6:52 pm

hi, sahas here, from my point of view cricket is God for all the cricketer…………………….

• 9 ItNair // Oct 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

As you age, you lose interest in Sports…Thats what has happened to me…Last week, Dhoni was rated as the most popular person in India, above SRK

• 10 Hemant // Oct 26, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I believe that it’s because we Indians are leaning more towards other sports. I believe we’re finally realizing that there are other sports apart from Cricket. I spent this year n the last two in following the F1 n would like to do more of it then watching cricket. I did watch some tennis n soccer as well but yea changed the channel when it came to cricket.

• 11 KO // Oct 27, 2009 at 2:39 am

Interest in cricket waning is a great thing – cricket is the most useless sport after golf!

Cricket is one of the reasons the Indian subcontinent is so backwards…

• 12 g.e. // Dec 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm

maybe its the star factor?

someone who comes along and changes – or gives such hope – india’s position in world stage may get us all interested again.

think we don’t have the right stars we can believe in.

i am not sure if its about the game and its appeal.