IndiaWorld Sale: 10 Years On

November 30th, 2009 · 6 Comments

Ten years ago, on November 29 1999,  I sold my previous company, IndiaWorld, to Satyam Infoway. It was a defining moment for me. It was also not an easy decision to make.

Six weeks before the sale actually happened, I was wondering how I would manage to raise venture capital for the business, given that many competitors were doing so. A deal for an investment had just fallen through.

Then, it all suddenly changed. I had not one but two extremely attractive offers to buy IndiaWorld. And in the space of just over a month, the deal with Satyam Infoway materialised. That’s how life is sometimes!

I had not built IndiaWorld to sell it one day. In fact, I ran the business as if I expected to run it for the rest of life. But there are times when one has to think not just from the heart, but also from the head.

Tomorrow: The Announcement

• 1 Ruchit Garg // Nov 30, 2009 at 8:43 am

Congratulations. I am sure you will cherish it forever.

• 2 kasi // Nov 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

Thinking always happens in the head… only the decisions are made with some influence from heart.
    From all corner … i believe you made the wise decision.

Kasi
    P.S. I am wondering what is the announcement torm’row … is it the official selling announcement date of IndiaWorld?

• 3 Akshar // Nov 30, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Year 1999 was the one when I was trying to teach myself how to use internet over a single computer cybercafe charging Rs 100 per hour.

I had saved a lot of pocket money for that. The internet community has come a long way since but I see little improvement over the services provided by many Indian .com companies.

Certainly would like to hear from you if you think it would have been a good decision had it you not sold IndiaWorld.

• 4 BN // Dec 1, 2009 at 11:03 am

IMHO you have the heart in the right place for a full time political career. Hope you ll write a post 10 years later about it. Best of luck!

• 5 Custom Papers // Dec 2, 2009 at 12:16 am

Congrats, staying in a business world for a decade is not easy. Wish you more successful years to come.

• 6 Ryan Ross // Feb 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I think you made a right decision! You have a courage to take a step towards changes and it’s praiseworthy! Everything turns out for the best!