Staff Exits

July 7th, 2010 · 6 Comments

April-June is always a difficult period if you are managing a business. Performance reviews and appraisals invariably lead to exits of staff members, and there needs to be a scramble to not just manage for expansion but also for the vacancies being created. In India, now that the jobs market is hot again, departures are on the rise. And with that, it becomes harder for small- and mid-sized companies companies in the growth phase.

Through my 15+ years as an entrepreneur, I have always found the April-June period a difficult period, but then things tend to settle down.  I once told a friend that the difference between an entrepreneur and an employee is that for the entrepreneur, there is no exit route off the highway. Employees can always get off when the going becomes tough or new opportunities beckon, but not the entrepreneur.

I just wish at times that staff joining entrepreneurial start-ups/earl-stage companies shown the same grit and determination through the challenging times.

• 1 The 'other' facebook - talll.com // Jul 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

Two points – who has more skin in the game, and whats the potential upside. these are the reasons the employees take the exits.

• 2 Ashish Tulsian // Jul 8, 2010 at 2:38 am

As always u hit the right key but for 2 consecutive years i fought this battle and then i started looking at april-june from a different angle. “The hiring time”..ie when due to no real reason employees from other organizations also start looking for appraisals and in absence of them try to change.
    this year we hired big time 🙂

but i think great employees for startups is n will remain either ‘a myth’ or ‘Luck by Chance’.

• 3 Vishwajeet Sukhija // Jul 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I see a trend changing with people being more optimistic in joining start-ups. Only thing which I would like to influence is to make it change even faster

I personally feel a lot of marketing need to be done to promote Brand Start-Up and that can only be done by people who work in these start ups

Some of the things which management can do in order to attract more people to join them:
    1. Visit colleges as career guides, explaining the advantages of start ups. Would be nice if one does not promote their own company but jus rather promote startups
    2. Be in touch with alumni. Networking works everywhere

I know many people are hunting for good work, but don’t know where to go.
    I see a need of a portal where people can know everything of wht happens in a startup (actually a product idea)

• 4 Shrabasti // Jul 8, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Agree with author regarding job switching . Job satisfaction plays an important role in making career decisions.

• 5 Rainu // Jul 9, 2010 at 10:56 am

Having a notice period is a must especially for startups to be able to manage employee loss, but sometimes they leave without notice that becomes a lot more troublesome!

BTW since your post is about startup hiring, thought I would mention that we are a startup too working in the recruitment space for startups. You might wanna check our website, we have some unique features.

• 6 Vik // Jul 10, 2010 at 11:07 am

I agree with the first poster – it’s really got to do with what the employee gets out of the startup – beyond a certain point, experience & flexibility take the back seat esp. when they see their peers “grow” in larger cos. in both title & pay. The only way to counter this is to make them part-owners of the company (only the ones who are worth it, of course) and I don’t mean stock options or equity that has no value unless the company is public – I believe it has to be based on sharing of dividends (even if the entrepreneur himself doesn’t take any for a particular year).