Corruption Stories – Part 6

November 1st, 2010 · 6 Comments

I said in my last post that the rot starts at the top. Look at our beloved Prime Minister. He presides over a Council of Ministers where the whole nation except him knows that the Telecom Minister has presided over a scam that has cost the nation Rs 1,40,000 crore (nearly $30 billion). His government kicked off an inquiry into the erstwhile CM of Jharkhand (Koda) last year, and then which Koda threatened to spill the beans on everyone, the inquiry stalled. In a couple years in power, Koda is estimated to have siphoned off a few thousand crore. The Commonwealth Games is only the latest in the series.

In this context, it is worth reading Atanu Dey’s post from a few months ago: Manmohan Singh is a despicably dishonest person.  Just because I am not personally corrupt does not mean that I am not dishonest. If around me, I know that everyone is corrupt and I consciously choose to do nothing about it, how I can be termed honest? Our Prime Minister has a choice. He has staked his life on integrity. Yet, when the time has come, he has chosen to look the other way to stay in power. Rationalising that I can do more good by working with dishonest men around me instead of stepping down and leading a campaign against them is not what people with integrity do. That is what people with no conscience do.

• 1 INDIAN BY HEART N DEEDS // Nov 1, 2010 at 11:36 am

ONCE AGAIN RAJESH YOU BEST AT YOUR HYPOCRISY…. WHY BLAME THE PRIME MINISTER FOR NO FAULT OF HIS… THERES A CASE GOING AGAINST MR KODA AND THE TELECOM MINISTER… WHERE THE GOVERNMENT IS ANSWERABLE TO THE SUPREME COURT… BUT JUST TO REMIND YOU… REFRESH YOUR MEMORIES… REMEMBER THE TELECOM SCAM THAT TOOK PLACE DURING NDA GOVERMENT (RELIANCE INFO EPISODE)… REMEMBER THE HUE-CRY BJP CREATED FOR SIBU SOREN..NOW THEY SHARE POWER IN JHARKHAND… EVERYONE KNOWS WHATS GOING ON IN KARNATAKA…. SO THEN THE ADVANIS N GADKARIS SHOULD ALSO BE JUDGED BY “Just because I am not personally corrupt does not mean that I am not dishonest. If around me, I know that everyone is corrupt and I consciously choose to do nothing about it, how I can be termed honest? “…. OR YOUR BJP BIAS WILL OVERTAKE YOUR INTEGRITY

• 2 Adarsh // Nov 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm

No corrupt politician should be spared and this should be beyond party lines. I feel the problem is, politicians are a reflection of the society and people today assume every politicians to be corrupt, but are the politicians the only people who are corrupt? What about businessmen paying bribe and Govt servants taking them?

It all points in the end to apathy of Indian middle class (who wants to assume everything is fine). Like every debate on choice ends in determinism vs free will this is about lack of will in Indian middle class

• 3 Mohit Dalal // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

@INDIAN BY HEART N DEEDS:

Screaming at the top of your lungs (ALLCAPS) cannot fix a broken argument. So calm down and read very slowly.

No claim about BJP being blameless has been made in the post by Rajesh.

The matter is whether MMS is an honest man or not. That question can be answered without reference to other people’s dishonesty.

Let’s try an analogy. Whether a person is guilty of murder is a question which should be investigated on the facts of the case. It makes no difference at all whether other people have committed murders or not.

Learn how to reason. It would also help if you stop shouting. We are not deaf and blind over here.

• 4 Mohit Dalal // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

livemint has this today

“Last week, the Supreme Court had some harsh words for the government and, in effect, asked it how A. Raja, alleged to be behind the latest scam in the telecom space, was still the country’s telecom minister.”

MMS will be silent. He will not respond because he has nothing to say.

• 5 Akshar // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I feel I am honest but I wonder what will happen to me if I become chief of some department where corruption is way of life ? I really don’t know the answer. Resigning is the simplest option but then it is like running away from the problem.

What does it take to stay on top and still be clean?

I have always idealized Mr. Arun Shourie when it comes to these qualities. People tell me when he was at top he cleaned up a lot of dirt.

How to build such leaders?
    How to build such characters ?

• 6 MP // Nov 2, 2010 at 2:09 am

@Rajesh – no doubt about it. From MMS to Gandhi family everyone knows and get benefit. Corruption at the height.
    @Akshar – problem is not people but the system. We need a system where corruption is not tolerated.