Wanted: Suggestions for a New Mobile

March 25th, 2011 · 25 Comments

It has been two years since I have been using the Nokia E71. (My phone previous to that was the first generation of the Apple iPhone.) So, any suggestions on what to buy next? I would actually be keen to try out an Android phone, but am open to smartphone suggestions from across the board.

Just for the record, my previous five phones have been (in reverse chronological order): Nokia E71, Apple iPhone,  Nokia N80, Nokia 6630 and Nokia 6600.

• 1 Manoj // Mar 25, 2011 at 7:13 am

My suggestion: Windows Phone 7. There are few good handsets available including HTC Mozart and Samsung Focus.

• 2 Jagan // Mar 25, 2011 at 7:32 am

I would love for you to try out Android and share your experience and insights into the strengths and weaknesses of that platform.

Samsung Galaxy S is considered to be the flagship, though if you ask 5 Android fans, you will get 10 different opinions!!!

• 3 Veerchand Bothra // Mar 25, 2011 at 10:26 am

I would strongly recommend a touchscreen Android phone.

HTC has good Android phones in its Desire series viz. Desire HD, Desire Z and Desire.

You can also consider Motorola Defy, Samsung Galaxy S and Samsung Galaxy S II (coming soon).

We recently purchased the Micromax A60 for our lab. Although its a resistive touchscreen phone running Android 2.1, it offers a much better user experience than its pricier Symbian counterparts.

BTW, Angry Birds is available for free on Android and thats a good enough reason to go for it 🙂

• 4 ram // Mar 25, 2011 at 10:31 am

I recommend you Android phones that runs atleast on 1GHZ processor with minimum 800×480 resolution.

If you could get it shipped from USA, prefer
    http://www.google.com/nexus/# at USD 529.

or Most HTC and Motorola phones fit the above specification.

• 5 Mahindra // Mar 25, 2011 at 10:59 am

Try Motorola MileStone 2 , that has solid look and comes with QWER keyboard and runs on Android 2.2/2.3 ver at 1 Ghz speed.

• 6 StatSpotting // Mar 25, 2011 at 11:14 am

Any good android phone

• 7 raymond // Mar 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

I personnally have a HTC desire , recommend it or Samsung Galaxy S, Nexus S also the iPhone.
    You’ll see the difference with previous phone generation.

• 8 Pravesh // Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I use a samsung android phone and am not complaining. I heard that Galaxy S is even better. I think its prized around 25 K INR.

• 9 Deep // Mar 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Is there any reason why you have stayed away from Blackberry?

Definitely worth a consideration.

• 10 Lalit // Mar 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Nothing but an iPhone. Android revision updates are painful and in some cases not possible. None of my friends with Android phones (Milestone, Galaxy S and Nexus1) are happy.

• 11 Ashwin // Mar 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Samsung ace best phone in the market with 2.2 froyo OS

For gingerbread 2.3 : Nexus S will be good one

• 12 Talll // Mar 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Why did you stop using the iPhone?

• 13 Manish // Mar 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm

You may want to consider what you use your phone for. IPhone is great for build quality and the sheer number of applications available for it. I take that you are moderately technical person, so simplicity of iPhone is not that big of a sell.

I believe that a combination of good cheap Nokia phone (Good reception and speakers) and an iPad (with 3G) could in theory also work well.

If you want an Android phone, please don’t consider anything other than Nexus one or Nexus S. Being able to update your os in timely and reliable manner is too huge a benefit to miss.

• 14 raj // Mar 25, 2011 at 10:56 pm

You should get IPhone 4.

Some of my friends have Android phones. Even though they like the user experience, most of them complain about hanging, applications crash.

• 15 Hetal // Mar 26, 2011 at 12:06 am

If you are looking to buy iPhone 4, I would suggest to hold on as there is speculations of iPhone 5 release around June/July. I am also considering Android phone (most probably HTC) as upgrade to my iPhone 3G and as Veer pointed out Angry Birds is a good reason to get one 🙂

• 16 Satyam Bachani // Mar 26, 2011 at 1:35 am

I’m shocked there are almost no recommendations for a Blackberry?!?

Always had been a hardcore iPhone user and hate emails!! I prefer calling and getting the job done but once I went on the BB there was no turning back.

The biggest difference between a iPhone, droid vs the BB is that the BB is a no bullshit serious device and always gets things done in comparison to say the iphone well to me its a fun device more like a toy but not really serious work device.

Of course it all depends on what your looking at but non the less BB begs to be looked at! 🙂

Regards,

Satyam Bachani.

• 17 Online Accounting Tutor // Mar 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm

If most of your use is email, the blackberry is best. If you use a lot of apps or want to read a bit, iphone.

The andriod OS is great and if it follows its current trajectory will be best when you are ready to upgrade in 1-2 yrs time.

I hear the Microsoft is getting its act together with its Window’s Phone OS WP7. It may be worth buying the Dell Avenue Pro if you are game to experiment.

• 18 Ram // Mar 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Samsung Galaxy S2

• 19 saurabh gupta // Mar 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Look at HTC Incredible S ….the only thing that can beat it is an iphone 4. HTC could have servicing issues but iphone4 wins hands down.

• 20 Da // Mar 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

check out one of the 4.3 inch screen Androids, with the larger screen, there’s just so much more room to play with, while still able to fit in the pocket

• 21 Amit Soni // Mar 29, 2011 at 12:21 am

Google – Nexus S

• 22 Krishnan // Mar 29, 2011 at 1:45 am

HP Palm Pre 2 (or Pre 3 if you are prepared to wait), not yet available in India so you might have to buy it from the US

I have used an iphone, motorola touchstone with Android and a few Symbian phones. Am currently using a Palm Pre 2. The Pre2 is undoubtedly the most productivity enhancing phone I have used. BTW, after using WebOS, IOS on ipad is looking dated.

• 23 Girish // Mar 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I have a Motorola Defy which is Android 2.1, nice camera, 3G, GPS, etc etc. It is also dust proof, water proof, scratch proof which is great because the phone looks new even after months of hard usage. (http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_defy-3514.php)

• 24 Amitabh Ranjan // Apr 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

Little unconventional advice, but its based on my understanding of what you do throughout the day.

I would recommend you get a Blackberry (with OS 6 – like BB 9650/9780 etc) AND a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The BB is excellent for calls/mails/texts and OS 6 has fairly good browser and apps and the key point is that there is no time wastage in installing/updating OS/apps etc like in iphone or android.

The TAB is for your posting on your blogs and browsing etc and for playing around with the power of Android.

I have used Palm Pre (webos), Samsung EPIC (Android) and iphone ( iOS ) & a few android tablets, but all of them take up some time almost everyday in exploring apps, installing/updating/configuring apps & os etc for things which you hardly need maybe once a month.

Compared to them a blackberry is very functional no nonsense device which you use for office/important communications and occasional browsing. It has a social media hub which is good to get all FB/twitter/RSS/messenger feeds in one place and you can sync properly with your outlook mails/calenders/notes etc as well as use BBM.

You can use the TAB or a large 4″+ screen android phone (any high end Samsung/HTC/Motorola android) for playing around with internet & media and trying out android.

Nothing beats HP/Palm WebOS in the OS GUI design and functionality dept. Not even iOS. But the hardware is not very good. Once Pre 3 is there it may change but till then its quite troublesome.

• 25 Nilesh Patel // Apr 9, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I would say, Try HTC Mozart or Samsung Focus!!! Both are awesome phone!!!

Windows phone 7 has better integration story compared to other phones.
    Most importantly ,you can access your skydrive notes from phone. (Use office -> OneNote)