Elections 2009: A Unique Experience — Part 2: Friends’ Progress
What were our beliefs in “Friends of BJP”? Here is a summary:
- Activate and Engage Educated Civil Society
- Middle India is India’s largest votebank and the most neglected “minority”
- We do not support or agree with the party line on every issues
- Over time, we can make a difference in 120+ urban constituencies
- An opportunity to “Reclaim the Successful” and Modernise the Party
- Beyond the Elections: Thought Leadership and Watchdog
- Bring about change, not over generations but within a few election cycles
How has our progress been?
- 20+ public meetings attended by over 25,000 people across India
- Another 15-20 meetings planned in next 3 weeks
- Our Website is the second largest political website in India after LKAdvani.in, in terms of traffic
- More than 50K people have visited the website
- Over 50K have opted in to receive updates on SMS and Email
- Website gets 100+ comments daily (with a total so far of nearly 4,000)
- Website has 2-3 new articles published daily
- Over 5,000 have volunteered through website and the public meetings
- Links to articles, SMSes and Emails are constantly being forwarded
- Also present on Facebook, Orkut, Twitter and YouTube
- Almost all growth has been viral / word-of-mouth
- Hundreds of small meetings being organised nationally
- Manifesto inputs provided (and some incorporated)
Not bad for what started out from a conversation between a couple people just about three months ago.
We may be able to make only a small difference this election, but I think we have set in motion a movement that will be unstoppable – and can make a fundamental difference in improving India’s polity and governance in the next decade.
The reader-friendly version of the story, Elections 2009: A Unique Experience — Part 2: Friends’ Progress, is made available for your personal and non-commercial use only.