VARBusiness has an article on why independent software vendors (ISVs) should turn to Linux, offering five reasons:
1. It offers a firm foundation for building Web services and Internet-based applications.
2. More competition means lower costs for customers.
3. It’s easy to leverage J2EE and other open-systems standards.
4. Applications are all Web-based, so apart from a browser, no client software is required, and they can be used across Windows and Unix servers.
5. Open-system toolsets mean freedom of choice for developers, as well as less costly tools.
The short advice is: “Be open. Be cheap. Be nimble.”