1. Simple, relaxed, sloppily extensible text formats and protocols often work better than complex and efficient binary ones.
2. It is worth making things simple enough that one can harness Moores law in parallel.
3. It is acceptable to be stale much of the time.
4. The wisdom of crowds works amazingly well.
5. People understand a graph composed of tree-like documents (HTML) related by links (URLs).
6. Pay attention to physics.
7. Be as loosely coupled as possible.
8. KISS. Keep it (the design) simple and stupid.