Digital Evangelist writes:
– at least 95% of mobile data revenues come from SMS
– interestingly, global SMS business is worth 3x the total, global music industry (including CD sales, DVDs, licensing, publishing, etc)
– yet operators think music downloads will transform their businesses!
– getting the basics right is still a valid objective – email, instant messaging, photo messaging, internet access/browsing, presence, location-sensitive search)
– not a single operator has managed to address these areas successfully yet (though cite Vodafone Spain with Real Mail as example of progress)
– Instead, most are focused on contrived nonsense – mobile TV being the best example