40 to 41

August 15th, 2008 · 8 Comments

Today, I turn 41. Last year, I wrote about my first 40 years. So, to ensure that the story is kept updated and since I did very little blogging during the past year, I am writing about the year that just went by for me.

On the business front, the focus was almost entirely on Netcore and building the MyToday service. It was one of the busiest years for me since 1999. I finally had found something that worked – from the many ideas that we tried in Netcore over the past 7-8 years. The free SMS subscriptions service grew rapidly, and with that came more challenges. Tackling those and laying the foundation for monetisation was what much of the year was about (besides our failed attempt at raising venture capital). This was a year when vision started being converted into execution. We still have a long road to go, but the journey of a thousand miles has begun in full earnest.

On the personal front, Abhishek, our 3+ year-old son, consumes all non-work time. There are days when I wonder if I could swap places with him mom, so I can be with him all the time! The Singapore vacation that we took in mid-June was an absolute delight (until I lost one of our bags in the taxi the night before we were leaving). Nowadays, as a family, we are into jigsaw puzzles — some of them from my childhood days.

It was a year of two new toys: the iPhone that I bought last August and the Amazon Kindle (an ebook reader) that I got from the US in May. That reminds me — there is a toy train set that I had bought a year ago that still lies unused, waiting for Abhishek to grow up a little more, so it can have a long life!

The only regret that I have is that I didn’t blog at all for much of the year. But now, I have decided to re-start. It will be much more personal — unlike the linking to articles that I used to do earlier. I will try and write daily. Life has so much variety so hopefully that should not be too difficult!

• 1 Roshan D'Silva // Aug 15, 2008 at 7:59 am

Hi Rajesh,

Happy Birthday!! Congrats on restarting blogging and the continued success of MyToday. Looking forward to your posts.

• 2 India 2.01 » Archives » An Entrepreneur’s Journey // Aug 15, 2008 at 11:52 am

[...] Jain is a person I respect. He turns 41 today. Check out his post where he chronicles his [...]

• 3 Girish // Aug 16, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Many happy returns of the day (belated). And yes, its lot more interesting to read views and opinions, instead of links! The new beginning has been great, do keep the good work going.

• 4 Gautam Kshatriya // Aug 16, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Hi Rajesh, Congratulations on your birthday. I was wondering – as an entrepreneur on the ‘other side’ (i.e. with some successes behind you) how do you feel?

How do you think you have evolved over the last decade? Do you think that you’ve matured as an entrepreneur? Do you still feel the same sense of restlessness that you do, or has that been replaced with patience, and an understanding that things need time to bear fruit? Do you still have a million ideas bouncing around your head – or have you quietened those voices to bring more focus to what’s currently on your plate?

I appreciate that these are rather intrusive questions – but I’m sure if you’ll answer these, we’ll all be able to take something away from it.

Gautam Kshatriya
    gautam.kshatriya@moneyvidya.com

• 5 Dilip Mistry // Aug 18, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Belated Happy Returns,

Congrats on the MyToday service -As you say it just works – Great work

• 6 neelakantan // Aug 18, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Your blog was among the first ones I read and am glad to see you back here…Keep going!

• 7 yoda // Oct 7, 2008 at 11:24 pm

I turned 41 too. And I forgot to live for myself in the last 41 yrs!;(

I was sure I’d face it with a great deal more dignity that I actually have – but the fact is that I’ve lost my way somewhere between my ambition and my goals. Now I feel 16, talk like I’m 80, worry about my skin and ye gods, yes, I dyed my hair last month unexpectedly.:/

It was quite exciting, in retrospect.
    All the best, Rajesh.:)

• 8 Best of 2008: Personal // Jan 2, 2009 at 5:01 am

[...] Event (Aug 08) General – India needs Ratan Tata as Prime Minister for 5 Years Personal – 40 to 41 (Aug 08) – Letter to a 3-year-old – On Turning [...]