There are some spaces that are going to be hard to enter and win:
- search (Google)
- news 1.0 (Rediff, NDTV, CNN-IBN)
- email (Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Rediff)
- social networks (Facebook, Orkut/Google)
- video (YouTube/Google)
- jobs (Naukri)
- matrimonials (Shaadi/People Group, Consim/BharatMatrimony)
- cricket (Cricinfo/ESPN)
- finance (MoneyControl/Web18, Moneywiz/Rediff)
- local [voice] search (JustDial)
- travel (plenty!)
Some of these spaces have leaders, but not a dominant one, and as such are still open for attack. In addition, there are still plenty of other entry points. One needs to think ahead a few years, and think more along the lines of what I call the N3 Web (now-new-near Web).
The Internet and mobile businesses in India are still at a nascent stage. China has multiple billion-dollar companies in this space. By 2015, India too will have its share. This is the time for Vision and Will. And some Luck!