Corruption in India (Part 5)

November 27th, 2009 · 33 Comments

I dream of an India that has rid itself of corruption at the highest levels of its government. (If we start at the top, the clean waters will flow down quickly to the lower levels.) I dream of an India where people in government make decisions that are right for the country, and not for themselves or their benefactors.

I dream of an India that has the money to invest in all the things we should have but never had any leftover money for – education, healthcare, infrastructure, transportation, energy, and more.

I dream that this can happen in my lifetime.

It will probably require a miracle for something like this to happen. But if we stop waiting for this miracle, perhaps we can work together to make that future happen. I don’t know how. What I do know is that right now a Few are holding Many to ransom. They have done it for 60 years, and unless we do something different, they will do it for 60 more. We can sit back and let that happen, or let our blood boil enough that we will want to do something about it.

India needs a Second War for Independence. This time, we need to fight some of our own.

• 1 Sanjay Uvach // Nov 27, 2009 at 8:31 am

It is important that we dream of a Corruption Free India in our lifetime. Such dreams would however, not materialise out of thin air. A lot of like mindede people will need to collaborate to realise this dream. Urge you to join us at nobribe.org in our quest.

Sanjay Uvach
    Corruption Free India

• 2 Kunnath Santhosh // Nov 27, 2009 at 10:03 am

I am sorry to be cynical. I see no way out of this mess. Corruption is very much institutionalised and part of our life and it is going to be that way. I would even go to the extent of saying that we should legalize corruption and anyone taking bribe should be “encouraged” to provide a receipt and probably we should tax 30% of the receivables! 🙂 That way at least instead of locking 100% of the money in black and kept in an unproductive manner, the country can hope to raise its revenues and hopefully the remaining 70% can be spent openly fuelling growth in the private sector. The other option being “patriotic” Indians taking up arms and bumping the politicians and bureaucrats. But let’s get real! We are not in a Bollywood movie!

Once again, sorry for being cynical. 🙁
    –Santhosh

• 3 Virender // Nov 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

Hi Rajesh

Why just blame the politicians ? We see corruption all around. People encroach public land, banks try every trick to squeeze money out of their customers, hospitals are worried only about money, contractors use sub-standard materials and so on. So, the people in power should not be blamed. They were like us when they were amongst us and we would become like them if we became one of them.

Changing a society is a mammoth task which requires unimaginable sacrifices. You just pick up one person and try to change him for the better. Sometimes it might work but most of the times it just seems like you are hitting a wall. At those times it is just the belief in ones ideals and goals that keeps one going. From that one can estimate what it would take to change such a big society. To bring about such a change the thinking of the people at the grassroots has to be changed. Their world-view has to be changed. There can be no shortcuts because if a country has to change, then its most important component – the people, have to change.

And this change can be brought by making the spiritual aspect in the society stronger. All the gurus, prophets and saints always taught that you should be good to others, help others, not grab what is others. They taught that no matter how much wealth one accumulates, one has to walk empty handed from this world. One should be at peace with what he has although one should always strive for improving things. When people start imbibing such principles, corruption will be automatically removed because the root cause – greed, has been removed.

This change is not easy – because it goes against the animal instincts in man. Not everyone wants to listen to such things and very few amongst them accept such things. If one wants to bring real change in the society, then one should work on spiritual upliftment of the people. Rest will follow by itself.

Virender.

• 4 Samridh Goyal // Nov 27, 2009 at 11:12 am

Virender,

On the change you speak of.. I guess the Father of our Nation said it best : “Be the Change you want to see in the World “…..

I dont know how effective or not a “top-down” approach to eradicating corruption will be, but I do know that change at the individual level has to coincide for it to work.

The enemy of Corruption is Integrity, and that integrity has to be realized at all levels – State, Business, and Society- for Corruption to be defeated.

• 5 Virender // Nov 27, 2009 at 11:40 am

Yes Samridh.

You are right. Unless one changes oneself, he cannot bring any meaningful change in anybody else. Because sooner or later people will find out that what is being preached is not practiced. So, this is the only approach which can work.

Swami Vivekanand once asked that he needs reformers. Everyone present raised his hands. Then he said – “I need reformers who can reform themselves”.

Virender.

• 6 dr b narsaiah // Nov 28, 2009 at 9:53 am

dear rajesh
    i just happend to see you articles and let me tell you of us curse corruption yet few of us do little to eradicate. propably we are corrupt genitically and more important is we must find ways to lessen it.

• 7 Rohitaash // Nov 29, 2009 at 3:43 am

Hi Rajesh,,

The judeo-Christian values that make up the american creed which is generally known as characteristic of majority of american people have two ideas central to their thought. They are equality and liberty for all.

Only in american society and the so called western nations, these two values are commonly seen and experienced even by migrants.

In india, the fog of religion, region and nation doesnt let us se the central thought at the core of indian society and by which we see those around us and interact with them.

That ccentral character in india society is CASTE.

Only through caste we try to find understanding about those around us in india and try to form opinions, judge them and interact with them.

For ex, the agrawal 8 gotras, are commonly known as baniyas and its understood that their primary motivation comes from money. No matter where they are serving and what they are preaching, its considered fair to club all those under this caste as people who would go extra mile only for money.

Similarily, I have seen that its fairly common to club Jats as hard working and at the same time borderline personalities when it comes to arguments with them. I can go on and on….

In doing so, its quite apparent that our society is racist to the core and doesnt believe in the equality.

By the same token, if the CM’s car is on the road, its conssidered OK if all other traffic is made to stop till he is through. Or if a rich man has a spoilt son, its considered OK and infact people look forward to the day when their son would also have enough women, money and chamchas to look after him and would make the headlines.

With equality not in existence, the question of liberty doesnt even come. A poor or one ranked lower in the rank is expected to BEHAVE and OBEY.

We must touch the feet of elders, the juniors in colleges esp engineering call their seniors SIR, every stranger our daddy’s age is our UNCLE and so on and so forth.

In india, the fix MUST start at the school level. We MUST change the NEW generation and force them into THINKING EQUALITY, LIBERTY, SELF RESPECT AND THEIR RIGHTS.

Only then, by the time we are 60 or 70, we would witness an INDIA and its politician’s which would not be afraid of behaving PROGRESSIVELY.

With Regards,
    Rohitaash

• 8 SREELAL // Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 am

Hi friends and teachers,
    I agree with rohith in “the change should start from school itself or from home. One of the main problem we have is we talk much and act less.
    I believe all our sincere talks should make some action otherwise it is waste.
    We have started a program “Mentorindia” in which we are trying to give students an opportunity to interact with experienced persons of the field. Through the program people like you, who really want a change in present india can convey your ideas and thoughts to young people of india .
    Please see our website

or

I believe if I change myself thousands will change automatically.
    Some believes that changes are impossible, they blame others. They are not ready to make changes.Every body used to blame politicians remember there are politicians who are working about 20 hours each day for the nation and its people.
    “Do what you think and think what you did?”
    Sree lal

• 9 SREELAL // Nov 30, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hi
    Waiting for thoughts and queries.
    with love
    sreelal
    Mail to me:
    yuthvoice@yahoo.com
    or
    ssreelal@navabharath.org

• 10 Martin Hall // Dec 1, 2009 at 5:08 am

The “Corruption” posts have struck a cord with me. I just happen to be re-writing an article (as part of a book) that looks at the issue of large scale change values-based change over 2 generations. One cannot really hope to get the level of change that India (or an other suitably large scale grouping) in less than two generations.

You need at least one to get the changes occurring and at least one to start putting them into place. It is largely a developmental issue. One needs to setup the basic conditions of change and then move developmentally through a series of stages (not easy!).

Hmmm — let me see if I can clean this article up and make it relevant. I have always had positive experiences by my experiences as well as frustrated at how somethings get done. I would really like to be part of something that would create positive impact for India in the way that is being discussed here.

• 11 Swaroop // Dec 4, 2009 at 4:50 pm

It is possible to change the attitude one step at a time.

BUT the problem is best stated in one line from a song called “Yeshu, Allah aur Krishna” from my favorite band Swarathma: “yeh breaking news nahin hain, magar phir bhi yaad hai”
    ( full video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJDr9neYf8 )

The janta feels patriotic on Independence Day or after watching Rang De Basanti, but the effect only lasts for a few hours.

I think ethics and it’s effects should be taught at the school level. That’s the only way out of this mess.

• 12 goblin // Dec 9, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Agree with Samridh Goyal #4 that “The enemy of Corruption is Integrity”.

Those with Integrity who see corruption will want to report it. These are the brave whistle blowers. They do it at their own peril.

India needs whistle blower protection acts urgently.

Today’s whistleblowers must rely on the interent and use it. This makes it even more easy for the corrupt to harass him or her with the help of draconian Indian cyber IT laws and an even more draconian police willing to harass people at the behest of private interests who want to prevent things coming to light.

The archaic criminal defamation laws of India are also abused for this purpose to put a lid on free discussion and investigative new media.

Maldives has decriminalised defamation, as civil remedies are sufficient. This is a good step for India to follow:
    United Nations Radio: UN expert welcomes decriminalization of …

Today the old media is part of the corruption. The only hope is through the new media.

• 13 jyothi // May 9, 2010 at 10:45 am

chage should come from small age only from their parents ,teachers ,sourrundings

• 14 Naveed // Aug 26, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work..
    Fly banners baratos

• 15 Naveed // Sep 4, 2019 at 5:54 pm

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.
    instagram likes

• 16 Naveed // Sep 8, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
    hampton bay

• 17 Naveed // Sep 23, 2019 at 5:05 pm

This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best, with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews, than by all means come in and check our stuff.
    Pain Management Massage

• 18 Naveed // Sep 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm

I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    poster

• 19 RajputSahab // Oct 2, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don’t really provide anything that I’m interested in, but I’m most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.
    Carpet and Rug Cleaning Fayetteville NC

• 20 Naveed // Oct 4, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going…. I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource…
    gift

• 21 asimseo // Oct 5, 2019 at 10:29 am

this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot!affordable movers Richmond VA

• 22 asimseo // Oct 5, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that “The content of your post is awesome” Great work.
    Airport Service

• 23 asimseo // Oct 8, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing

• 24 asimseo // Oct 8, 2019 at 1:59 pm

If you are looking for a heating and air conditioning company in the Tulsa County area, Our professional technicians can help you select, install, and maintain equipment to assure efficiency, reliability, and comfort over the lifetime of your products
    pasbook.epfindia.gov.in

• 25 asimseo // Oct 8, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Hi there! Nice stuff, do keep me posted when you post again something like this!
    소액결제현금화

• 26 asimseo // Oct 11, 2019 at 10:47 am

I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers
    progentra

• 27 Naveed // Oct 13, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many.
    안전놀이터

• 28 Naveed // Oct 15, 2019 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts.
    메이저사이트

• 29 asimseo1 // Oct 17, 2019 at 11:30 am

I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!.
    HVAC Fayetteville NC

• 30 asimseo // Oct 18, 2019 at 11:38 am

I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me.

• 31 asimseo // Oct 18, 2019 at 11:38 am

Tenant Improvement Contractors Vancouver

• 32 Aaron // Oct 19, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.
    xero singapore

• 33 asimseo // Oct 20, 2019 at 1:25 pm

This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it
    khoá học makeup