IIT Memories (Part 3/5): Theme 2 — Passion Matters

March 18th, 2009 · 6 Comments

As part of my efforts to grow my involvement in cultural activities in IIT, I contested for Hostel Literary Secretary in my second semester, going up against a senior. My “infectious enthusiasm” carried the day and I won by 2 votes out of 200. As I campaigned, the only thing I had to show were ideas and a passion to engage and listen.

As an entrepreneur, whether it was selling Internet websites and advertising in the mid-1990s or selling mobile solutions now, I try and bring that same passion – because that is perhaps the only differentiator in the early stage of a venture. I have to sell a dream and get people to believe in me, since there are few case studies to go by.

• 1 Sunny // Mar 18, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Going against a senior ! … and that too you won the contest? Amazing !

• 2 kasi // Mar 19, 2009 at 10:19 am

There are so many words … the taste of success, the madness, paranoidism etc., etc.,

But i liked “infectious enthusiasm”… very positive way of defining that state of mind.

• 3 shaan // Mar 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm

hey cool!! i totally agree….passion makes all d difference…i had a similar exp in coll…it wasnt winnin an election…it was abt gettin a long lost process back into action.we put our hearts n souls into it…n the final outcome felt like heaven on earth!!!

• 4 Arpit Agarwal // Mar 21, 2009 at 9:21 am

A totally awesome read, this series. I am also a IITB student and an aspiring entrepreneur. And I am totally inspired.

I am a part of a new initiative by IIT – TechConnect 2009. It would be great if you could participate. http://www.ircc.iitb.ac.in/techconnect/

Cheers,