Idea 1: A flat-rate data plan for Rs 99 per month

July 14th, 2009 · 18 Comments

For the most part, GPRS plans are priced at about 5-10p per 10 KB. This works out to Rs 5-10 per MB. The problem is both with the price and the concept of metering. What is needed is a flat-priced plan that is less than Rs 100 per month. Smartphones are capable of doing a lot, and most of these services require network access.

I checked my own data usage on the Nokia E71 in the past couple months – it comes to about 50 MB a month. This works out to an effective rate of Rs 2 / MB. (I’m probably paying Vodafone Rs 500 a month for that usage.)

New mobile operators have enough spectrum. What they need is people like me to switch based on the appeal of flat-priced data and bring along the voice business as well.

In addition, as I wrote last December, “A plan like this will encourage the use of the mobile Internet and other services, and create the necessary pull for companies to start building out mobile data services. Operators will benefit from large-scale adoption of data plans.”

• 1 Idea 1: A flat-rate data plan for Rs 99 per month | Adoption and Orphans Information // Jul 14, 2009 at 8:17 am

[...] View original post here:  Idea 1: A flat-rate data plan for Rs 99 per month [...]

• 2 Siddharth Chawla // Jul 14, 2009 at 10:49 am

Flat rate is definitely going to make users try GPRS services.

That can help develop some critical mass for services over GPRS.

Siddharth

• 3 Ajay // Jul 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm

But will that bring in problems for Indian carriers similar to what American carriers are facing now – http://gigaom.com/2009/07/12/what-will-carriers-do-when-the-data-gravy-train-derails/?

• 4 Raghvendra // Jul 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I don’t think our telco’s are going to offer attractively(forget aggressively) priced data plans any soon. I think they’ll milk the early adopters for a year more. What we can expect is sachet data plan. 2 Mbps unlimited for 1 week for Rs. 50 kinds. It’s unfortunate that CDMA is dying in India. For India out-of-the-box working solutions like Reliance World are needed for pay-per-use scenario’s. Else as you say, flat ones.

• 5 Ananth // Jul 14, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I think it is good to have a flat data plan, it will allow people to try using it and it will start mobility in the market. But what if every one the network becomes crowded. May be the network will upgrade and provide more bandwidth but again the cycle will continue ..
    I think this will be a problem, and in US they are trying to solve by putting caps on maximum data we can download…
    But how is the situation in Korea or other Asian countries where there is high broadband penetration? Are they not facing any such problems?

• 6 Posts about Mobile Internet as of July 14, 2009 | IMHO Conferences & Consulting // Jul 15, 2009 at 12:01 am

[...] or launch a philanthropic cause, one that adheres, promotes and extends your own personal values. Idea 1: A flat-rate data plan for Rs 99 per month – emergic.org 07/14/2009 For the most part, GPRS plans are priced at about 5-10p per 10 KB. This [...]

• 7 Akshar // Jul 15, 2009 at 9:35 am

Yes such a flat rate data plan would certainly change so many things. I relied on net through my phone so much four years ago when Airtel Rs150 per month unlimited usage plan.

Today I hate using net on phone because the speed and price both suck.

• 8 sajid // Jul 16, 2009 at 10:12 am

I agree the flat price will increase the adoption rate however the mobile operatros do not have the capability to stop misuse by set of subscribers. With unlimited plan only top 5% subscriber contributes to 75% of usage, which are misusing the network. At present speed limte can not be controlled at subscriber lavel as done in Broadband, intorduction of rely will help mobile operators in controllling speed of misusers and hence give better experience to masses

• 9 Nikhil Darji // Jul 20, 2009 at 2:16 pm

• 10 Nikhil Darji // Jul 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I use GOG 99 Plan of Airtel Gujarat, this plan is for Government employee of Gujarat from Airtel. Monthly Rental Rs.99 &outgoing Rs.0.40 for local mobile & Rs.1 for landline ana std. GPRS at Rs.99 per month(unlimited browsing & download in mobile and computer. My uses is 450 to 480 mb per month..

• 11 Nikhil Darji // Jul 20, 2009 at 3:27 pm

• 12 FirstBallSix // Jul 24, 2009 at 12:21 am

This will work. A flat-rate data plan for Rs 99 per month. Show me someone who knows what a data plan is and will not sign up for this.

• 13 rajiv // Jul 30, 2009 at 10:16 am

i used 498 per month from aitel.my monthly usage is 10-12gb and it is unlimited.i am from kolkatta,bsnl offer 167 per monthy for unlimited gprs 5-15kb/s sound good.

• 14 Vaibhav Ambagade // Mar 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

I am using Airtel GPRS on my Laptop with EDGE enabled mobile- Moto L9, since last two and Half year…..it cost me 100 pm with unlimited usage as I am using Corporate Card(Postpaid)…..the Browsing and surfing speed is very good……..even I use multiple tabs, bt downloading speed is ok i e 22-25 KBPS…… and i am satisfied with it as I only download some songs that are 6-7 MB size which it take 6-7 min to download…..I use and recommend DAP(Download Accelerator Plus) software for fast download which is easily available on net…

• 15 vikas // Jul 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

bahut hi ghatiya or bekar service hai

• 16 Dharmendra and sathis // Sep 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Very good service

• 17 DSL // Jan 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for the information..I will definitely look forward to it and use it for a trial and then share my view on it..As I am finding both kind of reviews related to it..

• 18 Albela Mehra // Aug 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

deeer just hilllo

Vaibhav.. i am also using my moto L9 past three & half…. but now i purchased micromax 3g usb modem… yes i agreed fully by view that moto l9 with EDGE technology is good combination with moto l9.. for high speed that will be better for normal work… i seem that u.s.b is lagging but for 3g…. this phone is superb ….. 2 mega cam wow… there is not little bit problem with p.c syncro.. Albela H (U.K)