Blog Past: A Train Journey

December 14th, 2008 · 6 Comments

I am going to Surat next week by train, and that reminded me of this post from June 2004 when I took the train from Delhi to Dehradhun. There is that romance that trains have that no planes or automobiles can match. I still remember the train journey I took across US from New York to California in 1992. I mention it to Abhishek often and one day, look forward to doing it with him.

Here is what I wrote in the June 2004 post:

…The magic of train journeys [is that] they help us make a connection with our own country in which other transportation modes just do not. They also keep us a little removed from the world outside so as to give time to think. It is a pity that as life gets faster, the shift from train to air also takes away a little of that child and dreamer in us.

Train journeys have a unique charm of their own. For me, this particular trip helped consolidate much of my thinking over the past few years and make it contextually relevant to what we need to do in India. Perhaps, the timing as well as the duration made the difference. Whatever it was, all I will say is that each of us at different times need to undertake our own train journey, connecting our past to the future.

• 1 workhard // Dec 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm

i love train journeys, they have a distinct charm

• 2 workhard // Dec 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm

i love train journeys, they have got a distinct charm to it

• 3 workhard // Dec 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm

train journeys are the best

• 4 Raghav // Dec 15, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Hi Rajesh,

Train journeyz are totally amazing, sometimes we all friends also choose to go via train somewhere instead via air or car because its more funn..seeing small tiny stations .sometimes seein country side.

but hey wait, i did love more when i was in a drive from delhi to goa..its fantastic

if you love the roads and can drive then this is one fantastic route which one cant miss.

Roads are awesome, totally cemented most of it..6 lanes expressway some places… and then lovely hills and lovely country.

I have always said if country India is promoted well then its too big to explore even in 2-3 trips.

Whats Europe etc in front of countryside India…awesome !

• 5 rakesh // Dec 19, 2008 at 5:37 pm

since childhood i have been taking train journey every year, and it has to be in the second class, as i am alergic to a/c and the real india with its all emotions can be experinced only in a second class jouney which should last atleast 2 days.
    trains have this bookish, oriental feel to it that when you stare at a person in the train you can know his whole story

• 6 binod // Jan 5, 2009 at 7:52 am

I love traveling. I have enjoyed when i have gone from howrah to jamalpure.It is nice place for tourist.