Indian Elections Data

May 23rd, 2011 · 12 Comments

I was looking for data on past Indian elections – Lok Sabha and Assembly elections over the past 10 years. One obvious source is of course the Election Commission site but what they have is mostly PDFs and some XLS files (could not find XLS files for 2009-2011 Assembly elections). I am looking for the following:

• a website where I can do drill-down analysis , at the constituency level, see how the voting patterns have changed across Lok Sabha and Assembly elections in a particular constituency
  • Raw XLS files for all Lok Sabha and Assembly elections from 1998 onwards (including the most recent ones). Like I said, the EC website doesn’t seem to have the last three years assembly elections XLS
  • visualisation software recommendations that can help present the data in a way that can support decision-making

Any recommendations? Would any one of you be willing to work together with me to help create this by aggregating bits that are available?

My goal is to make a site that has all the info readily available for analysis and comparison. It will allow us to see how voting patterns have changed in India. Ideally, we should overlay this with socio-economic data at the constituency level.  If something exists, I’d like to see it. Else, let us work together to create it!

• 1 GRR // May 23, 2011 at 7:55 am

Hi Rajesh,

I am a regular reader of your blog. I would definitely like to help you in this endeavor. Drop me a mail at iamanonymouscoward@gmail.com

I am IITM-Elec graduate.

I can contribute in visualization, building of website and analysis.

–GRR

• 2 StatSpotting // May 23, 2011 at 11:37 am

I can help in analysis, and to some extent on the development as well. Count me in.

• 3 visha ll // May 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Why dont you ask CNN IBN and NDTV they have the data and anlaytic tools. Someone from BJP like Piyush can connect you with Rajdeep or Mr Yadav (their research specialist) or Pranoy Roy..

• 4 wiggler // May 24, 2011 at 7:01 am

Don’t think constituency wise voter data is available in ready to use csv formats. Same way as region wise demographic data is not available from the census website. You’ll have to do the massaging and conversion from PDF -> CSV.
    For charting, take a look at Tableau software and IBM’s many eyes. Both of them take large data-sets, and can do different types of visualisations.

• 5 GRR // May 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Constituency wise data may be available. I know that political parties analyze this kind of data and act accordingly, So it should be available somewhere.

• 6 Rakesh // May 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

• 7 harinder // May 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Have you tried prsindia.org ? They have a lot of analytics and much of which is published on their website too.

• 8 Hitesh // May 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Hi Rajesh….Consider me in for the work. i am working as a Usability Analyst and will help you in Designing the work flow and UI of the Site

• 9 Hitesh // May 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Data analyst from diff news portal must have that data with them

• 10 Sundar // May 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Constituencies have been recently re-organised (in states like TN – not sure of others) and this has made the trend analysis complex.

Following tools could help:
    Will update you with more tools.

• 11 karra // Jun 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Rajesh, any progress on this highly desirable project?

• 12 Ashok Dakavaram // Sep 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hi,

Please find the details from country level to small booth level analysis in partyanalyst.com

You can do the analysis based on demographics, geographics, gender based from parliament to muncipal elections.

For more details contact me: +91 96766 96760