Namaste! A few words about me (Rajesh Jain) and the blog.
I am an entrepeneur based in Mumbai, India. I am Founder and Managing Director of Netcore Solutions Pvt Ltd (messaging and security solutions, and mobile data services), and have made a number of investments in various companies as part of my own fund (Emergic Venture Capital). I had earlier set up IndiaWorld, India’s first Internet portal which was launched in 1995, which was acquired by Sify in November 1999 for USD 115 million (then, Rs 499 crore).
Born in Pune on India’s 20th Independence Day (August 15, 1967). I went to school and college at St. Xaviers in Mumbai. Did my B Tech in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay in 1988, and my M.S. in Electrical Engineering from Columbia University, New York in 1989. I then worked at NYNEX Science and Technology for 2 years before returning to India in 1992.
I launched IndiaWorld in 1995. From its pioneering start, IndiaWorld grew to be one of the largest collection of India-centric websites, comprising Samachar, Khel, Khoj and Bawarchi. The IndiaWorld sites are now part of Sify.com.
- Novatium – Network Computers ($100 PC)
- Rajshri Media – Broadband and Mobile Portal
- Midas – Communications Equipment
- n-Logue – Rural Services
- ValueFirst – Enterprise Mobility (SMS)
- Greynium – Local Language Portals and Classifieds
- mChek – Mobile Payments
- New Horizon Media – Local Language Publishing
- Yos Technologies – Personal Healthcare Records
- Intelizon – Solar Energy for Rural Electrification
- Mobifusion – Consumer Mobile Apps
The two investments that did not work out were PubSub and Seraja.