Terror in Mumbai

November 27th, 2008 · 8 Comments

It is still hard to believe what has happened in the past 10 hours in Mumbai. South Mumbai (Nepean Sea Road/Kemp’s Corner) is where home has been for the past 34 years. And to see places so close and so known being attacked really makes one wonder if anything or anyone is safe in today’s world. The Taj and The Trident/Oberoi are Mumbai’s best-known hotels and to see them being shown live even now on TV as scenes of ongoing terrorist encouters is kind of eerie.

I was on a conference call with a couple people in the US last night when I heard two loud noises. I didn’t think twice about that then, but when I had just fallen asleep, my wife Bhavana woke me up saying there had been blasts and attacks in Mumbai — she had gotten our MyToday News SMS. It was around 11 pm. We switched on the TV and then watched the whole nightmare unfold for the next few hours.

Even today morning, it is not yet over. What is astonishing is the brazenness of it all. The proximity of what has happened and the familiarity of the places where the incidents is still hard to believe. For Mumbai – “the maximum city, the city that never sleeps” – this is a nightmare which will leave deep wounds for a long time to come.

• 1 Dasher // Nov 27, 2008 at 7:23 am

This is our 9/11. We need to treat as US treated 9/11 in going after these terrorists. Spare no effort.

• 2 ketan patel // Nov 27, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Terrorist activites are politicaly motivated and politicians will try to find out the maximum political advantage out of any terrorist attack.These polticians can do only one thing and that is just only deliveriung their hipocrate statements.

We should bouycoat each and every politicians who are only interested in saving their power (KHURSHI !!!!!! Bhai !!!!!!!!!!)

Pepole should identify these kind of politicians and their political party. Pepole should not give any importance to such besharm rajkarani, they should be hatted in all possible manner. AT LEAST IMPOTANT (NUMBER SIX BAHI!!!! )ARE BETTER THAN THESE KIND OF POLITICIANS. SAME SAME SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please jago bhai jago and speak out openly without any fear. PLEASE DO NOT BE POLITICIANS BETTER TO BE IMPOTANT

• 3 Om // Nov 28, 2008 at 5:01 am

rajesh, glad to see you are okay. i hope your family and friends are fine too. my prayers and thoughts are with all bombayites.

• 4 Roby // Nov 28, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Let me first offer my condolences to all the Indian people. Islamic terrorists have carried more than 12319 deadly terror attacks since 9/11 all around the world and things are worsening!

What I deplore most is that the moderate Muslims don’t speak out loudly enough against these neo-Nazi barbaric acts. Let me quote a poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller, a survivor of Dachau Nazi concentration camp, who described the political apathy of German intellectuals to the Nazi rise to power:

In Germany, they came first for the Communists,
    And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
    And then they came for the trade unionists,
    And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
    And then they came for the Jews,
    And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    And I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.
    And then . . . then they came for me . . .
    And by that time there was no one left to speak up.

Roby
    regards from Israel

• 5 Amit Dave // Nov 29, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Dear All
    leaving a comment is so easy
    we are helpless and unsecured in India
    i think we should give authortity to army and nsg to run our country
    we don’t requiry any political party

we all write and read for next few days and easy for us to settle in our normal life because no one died or injured from our family

just pray to god for normal life

• 6 Link TV // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:41 am

Check out the Global Pulse video on this, showing how different TV news around the world are covering the issue.

Watch it here: http://www.linktv.org/video/3405

I’m an intern with Link TV, the nonprofit that produces Global Pulse. Interesting to see how the rest of the world is reporting on the news.

• 7 kb // Dec 16, 2008 at 11:04 am

you linktv looks very interesting. did visit the site but was overwhelmed with the amount of info there. had some questions around ur service. is there someone i could connect with directly?

• 8 Best of 2008: Mumbai 26/11 // Dec 30, 2008 at 5:00 am