A Tale of Security at Two Grand Hyatts

October 7th, 2010 · 10 Comments

There is a Grand Hyatt no more than a mile or two from where the US President stays, right in the heart of Washington. My taxi was not stopped to be scanned by mirrors. The taxi doors were not opened for examination of the glove compartments. I did not have my baggage passed through scanners. I did not have to empty my pockets of all metallic objects and then pass through a metal detector. I did then have to be frisked. I did not have to go through this process each time I entered the hotel. This is probably true of every hotel in the US.

Then, there is a Grand Hyatt in Mumbai at Kalina. What I describe here is probably true of every 5-star hotel in India. The car is stopped at the entrance, and scanned (and in the process, creates a jam on the road at busy hours). The bags are passed through baggage scanners. I have to remove my mobile and pass it through the same scanner. I am then frisked. I have to go through this process each time I enter the hotel.

Why?

Even malls in India now make one go through metal detectors, frisking, checking of one’s carry-on bags and purses. Why? I have not seen security checkpoints at any US malls.

Why?

• 1 Shashi // Oct 7, 2010 at 11:53 am

When a friend’s car was being checked at a mall, he asked the security guy – “What will you do if you find explosives in the car?”

The guard replied, rather innocently, “That, we don’t know. We have only been asked to check the cars, Sir.”

• 2 N // Oct 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Brilliant one. The reason Rajesh is that our country leaves its borders porous, its waterfronts porous – our intelligence network is not capable of notifying new threats – hence like generators that we use for back up because the government cannot provide power for 24 hours, security is also outsourced.

• 3 Roshan // Oct 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Because our intelligence and surveillance systems (govt responsibility) are so weak that no 5 star hotel in India is willing to trust them. Hence they implement their own perimeter security. They obviously don’t like doing this as it does not make guests feel welcome but there is no alternative. Some of the 5 stars also have foreign security agencies one layer behind the Indian guys you normally see.

• 4 VIKRAM // Oct 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm

India is in many ways not comparable with India.
    But the above experience stated in USA cannot be possible in INDIA of now as we INDIANS are more prone to danger .Ironically this is not only due to external threats but due to internal conflicts .The day we overcome this , we get the experience in INDIA too .

• 5 SG // Oct 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm

You have obviously not tried getting in at any office building in New York or any NYC subway/ train station. Army fatigues, machine guns, sniffer dogs, cops with guns, random checks, frisking!

• 6 Piyush Ranjan // Oct 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I think you can get away with these checks by not coming back! We, here, would love to live a little more than crib about some security checks

• 7 KPM Das // Oct 8, 2010 at 7:45 am

Security and intellignece architectures are many layered-the outer layers are today sophisticated in US and has remarkable amount of data fusion and information-generation which eases the work of the last-mile layers including what you saw in the hotel. In India, our multi-tier architecture is not in place- it is WIP, I can tell you and will take a few years to come in.

• 8 INDIAN bt HEART n DEEDS // Oct 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

hey good one piyush!!!!…. u all intelligent people including you MR RAJESH.. why are you people so obsessed with US n its policies… if they were so right in all they do why would 9/11 happen , why would they be in state what they are in AFPAK region…please get real.. US is not surrounded by neighbours like ours.. they dn’t need to govern n protect population like ours… so i guess our government is doing an excellent job…try going to a delhi or varnasi station nothing is scanned nothing is frisked… n yet everyone is relatively safe… try this in US mr.rajesh they would never be able to handle so many people so efficiently….

• 9 sachin // Oct 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm

In US Cold Call is not allowed in India every company wants Sales Guy to breach security and do cold call and that’s why everybody in Indian feel proud when breach the law..

• 10 manoj // Oct 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm

i want talk with better conferance