Blog Past: India’s Tourism Opportunity

August 26th, 2012 · 20 Comments

I wrote this a year ago:

Having travelled to both Bali and Binsar in July, I am convinced that there is a much untapped tourism opportunity within India.

India gets about 18 million foreign tourists each year, according to Wikipedia. China gets three times as many. With better infrastructure and promotion, India’s numbers can easily match that of China.

For example, it is easier for me to get to Bali in Indonesia than to get to Binsar in Uttarakhand. This needs to change. We need to upgrade domestic infrastructure – better roads, more airports, faster trains. This needs to be combined with a bigger promotional push. More than half the people I mention Binsar toi haven’t heard about it – and neither had I till a couple months ago. India has many places of great natural beauty – which feature among some of best known secrets!

Tourism as a services industry can be thus not just a big forex generator but also a big employer, as Arun  Maira wrote in the ET recently.

• 1 Praveen // Aug 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hi Rajesh completely agree with your point of view. Currently living in Beijing, I see first hand the great way chinese have developed tourism infra. India has lots to catch up, unfortunately. But if not done in a planned way, too much publicity of a location and therefore visitors can damage the natural surroundings.

• 2 Vincent // Sep 5, 2012 at 7:15 am

But too much visitors could also mean increase in income. :D More money could be spent on improving or keeping the tourist spot beautiful.

- Vincent, PH

• 3 Shruti // Oct 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I totally agree with you that Tourism Industry in India can not only be a source of revenue but can also be a big employer. India has so many places that are still to be uncovered. Government should promote these places and make it a tourist attraction.

• 4 sanjeev j // Oct 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Very true. But the interiors of india are not very safe.I once went to rajgir in bihar and believe me it was very unpleasant experience. My advice: keep to metros unless you know the local language or people.

• 5 ravi kumar // Dec 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

shivaashubhra Classified: apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, Matrimonials, Health/Beauty, Web Hosting, Forums/Classifieds/Directories, and events Shivaa Shubhra Classified is a free classifieds online ads site where you can post free ads & can get targeted traffic and high response for your advertisement.

• 6 Rose // Dec 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Hi,

See this for more info…

• 7 Malvin Ong // Jan 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I just started reading your articles and i like this one about tourism. I am positive of tourism growth in india, because of the number people who are economically becoming stable is huge. just like in the philippines, where i am based. but with india’s potential it is a big market. I am into textile and oil trading in manila. but lately im thinking of how can i tap the philippine-india tourism market. maybe you want to look into it to Rajesh :)

• 8 Herbal Tea // Mar 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Wow that are very cool…

• 9 wooden furnitures in india // Apr 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Good post to increase the tourism India, for this you need a good fund to succeed by doing the advertising like abhitab bacchan is doing for Gujarat.
    wooden furnitures in india

• 10 Rahul // Apr 4, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Cant agree any more. There are so many cool spots in India and people flock to foreign countries. Go to Binsar, lansdowne, , Kerela, …i mean the list is endless. Some innovative toursit operators have bundeled tourism with medical treatment. What an idea…

• 11 Saurabh // May 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Tourism is still untapped heavily due to lack of infrastructure and transport, if these two can be taken care of then tourism can become very big in India.

• 12 South India Tour // Jun 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hai Rajesh It’s really nice post; I hope it will be helpful for the people who wish to know about India’s Tourism and really nice to read

• 13 raj // Aug 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

excellent information.

• 14 Rajeev // Apr 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm

You are very correct we feel that most beautiful places in india like nanital, simla, mansuri, and other hill stations are totally untapped as per as tourism is concerned. India has probably the best natural beauty which is not therewith tourist countries like Singapore, Dubai etc. surely lot of job is to be done to promote indian tourism and surely it has lot of career an employment opportunities as well.

• 15 Apple Authorised Reseller India // Apr 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Good Article…. Nice to read….

• 16 Gregory // Apr 25, 2014 at 3:45 am

I think the world wants to see India. We are different, personalized skin tone architecture. We palates than the rest of the world does not have, colors and exclusive fabrics. I agree and support your idea that tourism in india should be more encouraged.
    To let the world know us better and bring what is good in the world for us.

• 17 Suchit Mangal // Apr 28, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing information about Tour and Travels blog. I love tourist places in India. So I am searches Tour operator in India then I got http://www.indiatourismoffice.com is leading of Tour and Travels Operator in India. India Tourism Office offers affordable price for travels in any ware in India.

• 18 antonio // Jul 2, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hi,
    maybe tourism is still untapped due to lack of infrastructure and transport, but also because some people see India like a country with many risks

• 19 Mr Sumit // Sep 23, 2014 at 12:17 am

Such an great article, well written. Now Tourism becoming an mode of income for the government. Not even in India, country like South Africa, Dubai. They mostly dependent on tourism.

• 20 Model Baju Batik // Oct 8, 2014 at 3:40 am

thank for share this great news.