David Galbraith outlines 9 reasons for Apple to do “nice, shiny, white iPhone”:
1. All cellphone OS’s suck.
2. Most non PDA cellphone hardware design seems to have stayed the same, apart from the addition of a camera lens, for the last 2 years.
3. Unlike computers, for most people, cellphones are a luxury device where good hardware design is a premium.
4. Apple proved that people would pay for their software and hardware design value-add, in a luxury market, with the iPod.
5. Cellphones & MP3 players make sense and may converge, making a hedge against this a good move for the iPod.
6. The market for cellphone hardware is big but the incumbents are stumbling.
7. Even buying ringtones on cellphones is a $3 billion market (much bigger than the current music download market).
8. The form factor of the iPod mini is the same as a phone, and Apple pretty well invented the PDA (but just got the form factor wrong with the Newton).
9. Apple is particularly good at media apps. Wireless cellular iTunes, iCal and iPhoto would be very nice, thank you.